Something I started doing after I married Kyle was get in on making strawberry jam with my in-laws. I’m not sure how long my MIL has been doing it but it is by far better tasting than any store bought stuff.
With all the kids it’s not as easy to get together for a day and make tons of jars for a few families. So I bought some strawberries and made a batch at home today. It doesn’t take long and I don’t have to buy jam…ever 🙂
I made a lower sugar kind this time though. The original (checkout Lindsay’s blog post for recipe) has more sugar than actual strawberries so I want to reverse that. Ha. Here’s the recipe!
Strawberries (I bought a flat overflowing for $22 at a place just over the Michigan line on Cass. I am freezing what I don’t use for another purpose that I’m thinking another post on)
Sure.Jell PINK BOX for low sugar (bought at Martins with a coupon)
Bag of sugar
1 cup water
1 box pink Sure.Jell
3 cups sugar
4 cups crushed strawberries
(Makes approximately 7 eight-ounce jars…cost for me was $5.00. Way cheaper to make yourself!)
1. Cut off tops of strawberries and wash. You need 4 cups of crushed strawberries for one batch so it’s a full bowl.
2. Mash strawberries with potato masher. Chunks are fine.
3. Put 3 cups of sugar in a sauce pan of decent size, packet of sure.jell, and 1 cup of water. Stir over heat till boiling.
4. Once it starts boiling, time for a minute and keeps stirring.
5. Turn off heat when timer goes off and add 4 cups crushed strawberries. Stir for another minute.
6. Add to your clean jars. Wipe any spillage off jar and top.
7. Let sit on the counter for 24 hours and then put in freezer for up to you year. Take out and put in fridge to de-thaw. Enjoy!